Sunday, April 16, 2017

A Week of Homestead Photos April 9th - 15th

Another week of 2017 has blown by. The country kids are back in school and that means I get more time with my critters! When life gets stressful, there is nothing like a little animal therapy to keep you going!

It was touch and go with my grandmother this week. I honestly though her time had come. But, in true fashion of her spirit, she has rallied! They finally released her from the hospital and she was moved back to  the rehab home. Here is hoping her health continues to improve.

With injuries to both my feet, I am still hobbling like a penguin, but the spring chores need to get done. I finally got our seeds started, with only one mishap. The "wind" blew one of the trays over. I am pretty sure the "wind" is not to blame. LOL But what ever, I quickly restarted all the seeds in the try. No sense crying over split seeds (cause there isn't much you can do about it!)

So what made me smile this week?


 Cinder may be at the bottom of the pecking order, but she is one smart cookie. She knows that Mr Bill will not tolerate the other girls picking on her and she sticks close to him. *wink* Smart chicken, very smart.


 Poor, poor Mr Bill. He needs to learn to run faster. It's been a long winter and he isn't used to being snuggled. We will have to work on that now that he has had his first spring bath and doesn't smell so bad.


 If anyone is looking to get me a belated birthday gift, I found what I need. Yes I said need. LOL This sign and these big old chickens at Family Farm and Home are awesome!


 Remember that crazy lady who crocheted her rat a blanket? And then how said rat decided to chew up a corner of that blanket? How that rat snubbed her nose at the beautiful blanket the crazy woman had worked so hard to make her!?!? Well look at this! Yeah, I caught Ms Ratty Rat snoozing on her blanket! My heart is over joyed that someone in this house finally appreciates all my hard work!


 I love my chickens, don't get me wrong, but there is just something about ducks! They have such personality and beauty. Yes, Betty, I'm talking about you! She doesn't go after my slippers with the look of love in her eyes anymore (thank goodness cause it was getting a little awkward till Mr Bill showed up), but I enjoy those magical moments when we catch each others eye and there is just this unspoken conversation......


 It's an itty bitty, tiny weeny, green egg! Guess Ester ran out of egg making juice on this one!
Actually it is a fairy or "fart" egg. It happens LOL


 I have no idea why, but Wanda reminds me of a drill instructor. She is mouthy, sure, but she just LOOKS like she should be barking orders. So here is Wanda's morning message.... "Alright you humans, up and at em. It is imperative that you bring your flock treats stat. No treats, no eggs." Okay, Wanda, cool your jets and go lay and egg. No one likes a rude hen.


 When your laying on the couch and your country kid lets a chicken in the house.... Yup, she just hopped right up on the arm of the couch and made herself to home. Thankfully she didn't peck me in the face!


 We have some over achievers in the little greenhouse by the window! I planted these seeds 4 days ago and look!!! The Morning Glories are already up! 


 "Is it wake up time, mama?" Yes, Bill and Betty. Have fun looking for bugs and playing in the pool. Mama loves you!


 Someone was a little impatient when it came to me filling his water bowl. Little Larry sure has a big personality some times. Back in your pen, buddy.....


 I may not be able to get my ducks (or country kids) in a row, but look at this! I got my chickens in a row! Well except for Cinder who sleep on a shelf by herself. Of course they wouldn't all look at me for a photo and I think Ester is throwing me some stink eye!


 Buffy has the best tooshy ever. So full and fluffy. If there was a rooster pin up calender, she would so be in it!


 Just a bunch of ducks, doing what ducks do, and looking cute doing it!


 Wild night at Potter Park Zoo, hanging with the "locals." Took the country kids to enjoy the MSU Science Festival event where they had a lot of fun. A big thank you to all the docents, volunteers, and staff for making this event possible for the surrounding communities!


 Nothing like closing out the day with the country kids and critters enjoying each other’s company.
This is life, and I love it!


Remember to take time out of your busy day to find your own things to make you smile!

19 comments:

  1. Buffy's butt is the best butt by far! Beautiful! Bodacious! A breadth of bronze bombshell boarding on breathlessness! Bye bye! Bona.....uh, I mean Dona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed looking at the photos of the chickens and ducks. Their feathers are so colorful. What an exciting and fun time at your farm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is so beautiful in your farm, I lives in an apartment, so I guess that I just dream of chicken, ducks, and little pigs with yours pictures and posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pigs! We tried that once LOL I am so not a pig farmer. Evil pigs.... evil LOL

      Delete
  4. I enjoy seeing your homestead photos... what a busy life. I hope your feet heal soon and well. Love the chickens and sign! :) Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just hopinh my three month run of injuring my feet comes to and end! LOL

      Delete
  5. Love seeing all of your pictures of the farm. Your chickens look like part of the family.
    Thanks for sharing at Over The Moon Party.
    Hugs,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! All of our critters are family :)

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy your homestead photos, Mindie. I'm really glad your Grandma rallied, and I do hope your feet soon feel better. Loved the 'fart egg' and what cute photos of your chickens. Thank you so much for being a part of Hearth and Soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for having a place like minded folks can gather!

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh! That chicken sign and your Brahma leering over you are hilarious! I've been trying to get better about spending more time with our animals too like you said with Mr.Bill. I feel like our piggies didn't get much love this winter...But right about the time I decided this, wouldn't you know it it gets hot out and they have created themselves a lovely little mud pit and look like mud monsters all the time now! Who wants to pet that?! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol That is one of the few things I'm "girly" about.

      Delete
  8. We had a rat at our school today - I don't think anyone was worrying about a blanket for him but I'm glad yours enjoys her blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fart egg? Never heard of such a thing! It looks so little and cute. Thanks for sharing on the Waste Less Wednesday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete